Parliament sat for a special sitting on Thursday, 26 March 2015 at 4 pm for Members of Parliament to pay tribute to our founding Prime Minister of Singapore.
Speaker of Parliament, Mdm Halimah Yacob, made introductory remarks, before Parliamentarians paid tribute to the late Mr Lee Kuan Yew.
The following Parliamentarians spoke:
- Dr Ng Eng Hen (Bishan‐Toa Payoh), Minister for Defence and Leader of the House
- Mr Seng Han Thong (Ang Mo Kio)
- Mr Low Thia Khiang (Aljunied)
- Mr Wong Kan Seng (Bishan‐Toa Payoh)
- Mr Thomas Chua Kee Seng (Nominated Member)
- Mr Masagos Zulkifli B M M (Tampines), Senior Minister of State, Ministry of Home Affairs and Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Mr Vikram Nair (Sembawang)
- Ms Sim Ann (Holland‐Bukit Timah), Minister of State, Ministry of Education and Ministry of Communications and Information
- Ms Chia Yong Yong (Nominated Member)
- Mr Christopher de Souza (Holland‐Bukit Timah)
- Ms Indranee Rajah (Tanjong Pagar), Senior Minister of State, Ministry of Law and Ministry of Education
One minute of silence was observed at the end of the tribute. After the special sitting, all Parliamentarians, including Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, paid homage to the late Mr Lee.
Civil servants, members of Singapore’s Old Guard, unionists, grassroots leaders, students, a broad spectrum of society comprising Singaporeans from all walks of life, and members of the media were invited to this special sitting. Participants wore black ribbons to mark the occasion.
The Order Paper is available here.
List of Old Guard at Special Parliamentary Sitting
List of Permanent Secretaries at Special Parliamentary Sitting